At Kirkburton Middle School, we pride ourselves on nurturing and supporting the calm, purposeful, happy environment at school, in which we believe all children can flourish and grow. It is a primary aim of our school that every member of the school community feels valued and respected, and that each person is treated fairly and well. We are a caring community, whose values are built on mutual trust and respect for all.
Part of the way in which we encourage and promote this approach is by having clear and consistent expectations of our children, regarding both the standard of their work at school and their behaviour.
A key element of this approach is our Behaviour Policy. This has been developed by teachers, support staff, parents and children, and has been endorsed by our governing body, and is available to download on this page.
When behaviour at school does not meet the agreed standards, we adhere to a strict escalation policy, up to and including exclusion (from class or from school on a temporary, or, on very rare occasions, a permanent basis). Details are provided in the Behaviour Policy.
At Kirkburton Middle School, we run the following Behaviour System:
- Stage 1: 1st Verbal Warning
- Stage 2: 2nd Verbal Warning, which is logged on Sims
- Stage 3: 3rd Verbal Warning – 15 minute lunchtime detention, with class teacher which is logged on Sims
- Stage 4: 30 minute lunchtime departmental detention, which is logged on Sims
- Stage 5: 1 hour after school detention with SLT, which is logged on Sims