We are proud of our school and expect all pupils to wear the KMS uniform with pride. We believe our uniform:
- Creates a sense of school community, cohesion and identity
- Supports positive behaviour and good discipline
- Ensures pupils from all cultures and backgrounds feel welcome
- Protects children from social pressures to dress in a particular way
If pupils arrive at school without the correct school uniform they may be allocated the correct items to wear for the day, including footwear.
Please make sure that all belongings are clearly labelled with the pupil’s name.
If you have any questions regarding school uniform, please contact your child's Head of House. Free school uniforms can be requested from Huddersfield Uniform Exchange.
Our uniform comprises of:
- Jumpers – Plain black crew neck sweatshirt (with school logo).
- Polo shirts – White polo shirt (with school logo).
- Trousers – Plain, black full length tailored trousers. No other styles are allowed, including, canvas, linen, denim, jeans style, tight or skinny fit trousers, leggings or tracksuit bottoms. Trousers must be full length i.e. cover the top of the shoe and ankles must be covered; cropped or rolled up trousers are not permitted. Alternatively, pupils may wear black tailored school shorts (not casual shorts or sportswear).
- Skirts – Black tailored skirt. Suitable length, preferably knee length, or just above the knee – no tube/tight fitting skirts or stretchy skirts.
- Socks/tights – Plain black or grey ankle or knee-length socks. Plain black tights.
- Outer garments – The wearing of outer garments to and from school is encouraged when required. They should be appropriate to the season. Coats should not be denim or have obtrusive logos on them. Heads should not be covered indoors (except for religious observance). Hoodies or other sweatshirts must not be worn in school at any time.
- Jewellery and fashion accessories – Jewellery often presents a health and safety risk in school. Therefore, all jewellery must be able to be removed as this will be necessary in certain lessons where there is a particular issue. All jewellery must be plain and discreet. The only acceptable jewellery is a watch and one small stud per ear (no bigger than the end of a pencil). No stretchers. Earrings should only be worn in the earlobe. No other body/facial piercing is permitted. Nail extensions/nail polish must not be worn in school. Pupils wearing nail polish will be asked to remove it.
- Smart Watches – Given the cost of many smart watches, we would ask ideally that these are left at home. If worn to school, this is done so in line with the school mobile phone policy. All internet connectivity must be disabled at all times.
- Hair and make-up – Extreme or unnaturally coloured hairstyles are not allowed. What constitutes ‘extreme’ is at the discretion of school leaders. Shaved patterns will not be allowed. Should hairbands be worn, these must be discreet. Pupils may not wear make-up in school. This includes eyeliner, mascara, foundation, lip glosses or lipsticks. Pupils wearing make-up will be asked to remove it.
- Shoes - Shoes must be plain black leather or leather effect and suitable for school. Plain black laces only. Velcro fastening shoes are acceptable. Flat or low heeled ankle boots are allowed, again these must be plain black. All shoes should be able to be polished. Sports style and trainer style shoes, such as Nike, Puma, Reebok, Converse, Vans, Lonsdale etc. are not allowed even though some shops may sell them as ‘school shoes’. No trainers, high heels, platforms or pumps. There should be no visible sports logos. If in doubt, please ask school for advice before purchasing new shoes – the easiest way to do this is send us a photo / web link. Please scroll down to see examples of acceptable school shoes.
- School Bags – Children do need a school bag to transport books and equipment but it should be of a reasonable size (suggested length 50cm). Small handbags or ‘man bags` are not appropriate for school.
PE Kit *(NEW for 2023/2024)
- Indoor PE – a school logoed T-shirt, plain black shorts/skirt/skort and trainers (see image below). We would like all pupils in school to wear the new PE top and it would be advisable for ALL to buy it in preparation for the 2023/24 academic year. If there are problems with purchasing a new PE top, pupils will be allowed to wear their PE house-colored top for one more year only. By the 2024/2025 academic year, ALL pupils in school will be required to wear the new PE top.
- Outdoor PE – as indoors with a change of socks.
Optional Items for PE
- Tracksuit bottoms - if worn, should be plain black – no logos. Leggings or sports tights are allowed but they must be plain black without logos.
- Hoodie / Sweatshirt – if worn, should plain black- no logos. Optional KMS PE hoodies are available from uniform suppliers.
Pupils are encouraged to wear a gum shield when playing hockey (available from sports retailers or your dentist). Pupils are also encouraged to wear shin pads for certain sports.
Pupils will need an apron for DT. Pupils with hair which is of a length that may constitute a health and safety risk in practical subjects such as DT, Science and PE will also need a safe, sensible means of restraint.
Examples of School Uniform
Examples of Acceptable Shoes
Examples of Shoes That Are Not Acceptable
If in doubt, please ask school for advice before purchasing new shoes – the easiest way to do this is send us a photo / web link.
School sweatshirts, polo shirts, P.E. t-shirts, P.E. shorts, Tracksuits and Trousers/Skirts are available from:
- Term Time Wear: 5 St John’s Road, Huddersfield
- Telephone: 01484 453534
- Website: https://www.termtimewear.com/
- Natasha Schoolwear: 2 Buxton Way, Huddersfield
- Telephone: 01484 431260
- Bridge Schoolwear, 4-6 Scar Lane, Milnsbridge, Huddersfield
- Telephone: 01484 655655
- Website: https://www.bridgeschoolwear.co.uk/
- Top Class School Wear
- Telephone: 01484 862068 or 07525 740333
- Website: https://topclassschoolwear.co.uk/
I am sure most of your children will have grown out of their old school uniform by the end of the term or maybe leaving to a new school. Please would you donate any no longer needed school uniform to Uniform Exchange our local recycling charity. They are in desperate need of school bags, trainers and football boots. They make sure every family has access to school uniform throughout the year no matter their financial need. Our school does have a collection box for you to donate into. Thank you in advance for your support.
Uniform Exchange - Free School Uniform
Uniform Exchange have items of recycled school uniform donated. This is available for all parents to access for their local school, please complete the form on this link and they will get it out to you ASAP. They give away uniform on a first come first served basis, be aware logo items are limited.
At KMS we have a limited stock of uniform available free to those in need of assistance.