At Kirkburton Middle School, we aim to provide a high quality education for all children. We believe that all children are entitled to a broad and balanced academic and social curriculum. We welcome pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and meet their needs in a positive manner. SEND may be identified before entry or once the pupil is attending school, when a parent or a member of staff may identify them. These needs are discussed with parents, in confidence, at the earliest opportunity. Children who are identified are supported in school through the creation of an Individual Education Plan which will help them meet their identified targets.

The school works in partnership with parents to support a pupil’s development and address his or her needs to enable the pupil to achieve his or her potential. Extra support is provided when necessary, and in some cases, with parents’ consent, the school involves outside agencies to provide additional support.


Mrs R Donkersley is the SENDCo for Kirkburton Middle School. You can contact her via email at or via telephone on 01484 222737.

Educational Teaching Assistants

We have a dedicated team of Educational Teaching Assistants in school who support pupil across every subject. They are:

Mrs J Stratford   Mrs J Clarkson   Ms L Simms-Lingard  
Mr A Turner   Mr J Fosbrook   Mrs C Smith  
Mrs S Haigh-Edwards   Mrs J Hindle   Miss M Wigglesworth  

Key Documents

Click here to be taken to the SEND Code of Practice.

SEND Policies


Information about the Kirklees Local Offer

SEND Local Offer:

Children and Families Act 2014

The Children and Families Act takes forward the Government’s commitments to improve services for vulnerable children and support building stronger families. It underpins wider reforms to ensure that all children and young people can succeed, no matter what their background. The Act reforms the systems for adoption, children who are looked after, family justice and special educational needs. The Government has changed the system for children and young people with special education needs (SEN), including those who are disabled. The Act extends the SEN system from birth to 25, giving children, young people and their parents / carers greater involvement in decisions and ensuring needs are properly met. It takes forward the reform programme set out in Support and Aspiration: A New Approach to Special Educational Needs and Disability: Progress and next steps by:

  • Replacing statements and learning difficulty assessments with a new birth-to- 25 Education, Health and Care Plan.
  • Improving cooperation between all the services that support children and their families and particularly requiring local authorities and health authorities to work together.
  • Requiring local authorities to involve children, young people and parents in reviewing and developing provision for those with special educational needs and to publish a ‘local offer’ of support.

What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper (March 2011) to detail what local services are available to support disabled children and children with SEN and their families. This easy to understand information will set out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower-level SEND as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.

What does it do?

The Kirklees Local Offer provides parents / carers with information about how to access services in their area, and what they can expect from those services. It lets parents / carers and young people know how school and colleges will support them, and what they can expect across local schools and colleges. There are 14 questions, devised in consultation with parents / carers and other agencies, which reflect their concerns and interests. These have been answered by services, schools and colleges to provide information to parents and carers to enable them to make decisions about how to best support their child’s needs.

What services are available?

We have forged some very effective links in our multi-agency approach to working to meet the needs of pupils with special educational needs. Some of the agencies we regularly work with are:-

Kirklees Independent Advice and Support Service for SEN and Disability (KIAS) (previously Kirklees Parent Partnership)

The role of KIAS is to ensure that parents have access to confidential and impartial information, advice and support so they can make informed decisions about their child's special educational needs. This is achieved by working in partnership with parents, providing information, services and training, working with relevant agencies and ensuring parents' views influence local policy and practice.

PCAN (Parents of Children with Additional Needs)

PCAN are an independent, parent-led forum in Kirklees for all parents and carers of children and young people with additional needs aged from birth to 25 years. They provide lots of good information, links to social media for networking with other parents, and together they provide a strong, collective voice so that they can work in partnership with service providers across Kirklees. Together we can improve services for our children and young people with additional needs.


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services - This service can be accessed following referral from a medical professional (G.P./School Nurse). SENCOs can also refer to the service directly. With parental consent, CAMHS will work with us to support children, recommending strategies for staff to use in school.


ChEWS is the Tier 2 Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service for children and young people in Kirklees. The Service provides short term targeted interventions to children and young people who are aged 5 to 19 and whose emotional needs are impacting on their day to day lives.

Hearing impaired Service/Visually Impaired Service

These services can be called upon to support children in educational settings who have hearing /visual impairments respectively. With consent, schools can refer to the service.

Speech and Language Service (S.A.L.T.)

This service can be called upon to support children with speech, language or communication problems. With consent, schools can refer to the service. Some children are also referred via their GP or a School Nurse.

Educational Psychologists

The school is supported by an educational psychologist, who works very closely with the SENCO. Following consent and referral, the educational psychologist assesses and supports individual pupils with special educational needs by providing parents and school staff with detailed reports and suggestions for actions based on identification of need. The educational psychologist is very important in contributing to statutory assessment/Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans.

Occupational Therapy

This service receives a referral from a health professional or from a SENCO, with parental consent. They explore, assess and guide provision around various physical difficulties. Often a report to school will be followed by sessions with an assistant from the service.

Various other agencies can be accessed, usually via the Early Help Assessment (E.H.A.) process and according to need. For further support see the link to the Kirklees local Offer for contact details.

Head Teacher: Mr C Taylor

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator SENDCo: Mrs R Donkerslee


Governor with responsibility for SEND

Contact details: Mrs V Green

Turnshaws Avenue




Email (admin)

Email (SENCo)

Telephone (admin): 01484 222737

Telephone (SENCo): 01484 222737

Local Offer webpage link:

Age range: 10-13

At Kirkburton Middle School School and within the Shelley Pyramid of Schools we deliver quality first teaching to every child, adapting the curriculum to their specific needs. The statements below can be applied to all children in our schools.

1. How do Shelley Pyramid schools know if children need extra help?

We know when children need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents / carers, teachers or the child
  • Limited progress is being made
  • There is a change in the child’s emotional well-being or progress.

2. What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs? The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns. If you have further concerns then contact the individual school SENCO.

3. How will I know how the Shelley Pyramid schools support my child?

  • Each child’s learning will be planned by the staff involved in your child's education and tailored to suit their individual needs. This may include targeted support.
  • If a child has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy and literacy skills, etc. then the child may be placed in a small focus group. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need and monitored regularly. If you have any questions related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENCO.
  • As parents / carers, you will have regular opportunities to discuss your child's progress within school. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned.
  • In some cases, a referral may be made to seek further advice through the pyramid’s Additional Needs Partnership in order to discuss the most appropriate way forward with an educational psychologist and other professionals.
  • Occasionally a child may need more expert support from an outside service such as Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychologist or Occupational Therapy.
  • Any referrals to outside agencies require parental consent.

The Governors of Shelley Pyramid schools are responsible for entrusting a named Governor who will monitor the SEND provision and use of funding in their school. In a support and challenge role, the Governors ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treat all children and staff in an equitable way. They monitor and review the accessibility plan; all other statutory policies and provision as defined by the Department for Education.

4. How will the curriculum be adapted to meet my child’s needs?

  • All work within the classroom is tailored to individual children’s needs by the class teacher to best enable children to access the curriculum.
  • Teaching assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with a child in a 1-to- 1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.
  • If a child has been identified as having an additional need, they may be given a personalised plan. Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be reviewed by staff and the SENCO at least three times a year with the opportunity for discussion with parents / carers and the pupil; with a copy given to them.
  • If appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the child e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen / pencil grips or easy-to- use scissors. Please also see our accessibility policy

5. How will I know how my child is doing?

  • Through the school's assessment and reporting systems, you will be kept regularly informed about your child's progress.
  • Pupil targets will be reviewed by staff and the SENCO at least three times a year with the opportunity for discussion with parents / carers and the pupil; with a copy given to them.
  • In addition, if your child has an EHCP, this will be reviewed at a formal annual meeting.
  • You will also be able to discuss your child’s progress at parents’ evenings. Appointments can be made to speak, in more detail, with members of staff if you require.

6. How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • Staff may suggest ways of how you can support your child.
  • The SENCO/ pastoral team may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies to use if there are difficulties with their social and emotional needs.
  • If outside agencies or the educational psychologist have been involved, support and strategiesmay be provided and could be used at home. This home-school partnership is essential.

7. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for children who are encountering social/emotional difficulties:

  • Members of staff are readily available for children who wish to discuss issues and concerns.
  • Additional support may be provided for children who find social times challenging.
  • All our schools have safe spaces for children who need emotional support.
  • This report is in line with the school’s behaviour and anti-bullying policies. Children with medical needs:
  • If your child has a medical need then a detailed care plan will be provided by a medical professional. These are shared with all staff involved with your child.
  • Staff receive Epipen / diabetic / epilepsy training delivered as required.
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents / carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member. Please refer to the school’s administering medicines policy [available in school].
  • Identified staff have basic first aid training.

8. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

  • At times it may be necessary to consult with outside services to receive their more specialised expertise. These can be located in the Kirklees Local Offer on the Kirklees website. A link can also be found on our school’s website.
  • An educational psychologist (EP) is allocated to our pyramid of schools. He / she would normally only work directly with children whose needs are considerable and who have not made sufficient progress using the interventions previously put in place for them.
  • The psychologist may meet with the parent / carer and discuss any outcomes. He /she will offer advice to the school and parent / carer on how to best support the child in order to take their learning forward.
  • The EPs are directly involved in planning SEND provision through the Additional Needs Partnership for children across the pyramid. Termly meetings are held to discuss and prioritise the needs of children and good practice is shared.

9. What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had (or are

  • Different members of staff have received training related to Special Education Needs and Disabilities. This may include sessions on:
  • cognition and learning (e.g. autistic spectrum)
  • communication and interaction (e.g. speech and language difficulties)
  • physical and sensory needs (e.g. co-ordination needs)
  • social, mental and emotional health
  • All SENCOs hold Qualified Teacher Status and have relevant experience.
  • Some of our SENCOs have gained the qualification ‘National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-Ordination’.

10. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

  • Activities and school trips are available to all.
  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
  • If it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required, you may be asked to accompany your child during the activity.

11. How accessible is the school environment?
Shelley Pyramid Schools SEN Information Report November 2017 Page 6

  • Schools are responsible for setting an admissions policy and criteria which does not discriminate against pupils with disabilities or treat them unfairly.
  • All schools take steps to prevent pupils with disabilities from being treated less favourably than other pupils.
  • As individual schools we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Please refer to the school accessibility policy which can be found on our website.

12. How will the schools prepare and support my child during transition in school and between settings within the pyramid?

  • All children have opportunities to attend transition visits.
  • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools/ settings happen prior to the child joining / leaving.
  • All children attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher (tutor) and other members of staff.
  • Additional visits are also arranged for children who need extra time in their new school.
  • School staff are always willing to meet parents / carers prior to their child joining the school.
  • Middle School/ College staff visit children prior to them joining their new school.
  • Where a child may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with relevant staff from both schools, the parents / carers and, where appropriate, the child.

13. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • A notional SEND budget is allocated to individual schools each financial year in line with the SEND Code of Practice. This can be used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs.
  • Extra staff may be deployed as well as additional resources to support children’s learning.

14. How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

  • These decisions are made in consultation with teachers, SENCOs and Senior Leadership Team (SLT). Decisions are based upon termly tracking of child progress and/ or as a result of assessments by outside services.
  • If further concerns are identified, due to the child’s wellbeing or lack of progress, then other interventions may be arranged.

15. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

  • All parents / carers have a responsibility to support their child’s education.
  • Parents / carers support home learning and personalised targets.
  • Discussions with teachers / SENCO / other professionals.
  • Attendance at Parents’ Evenings.

16. How will my child’s views be taken into account?

  • Children are involved in the setting of personalised targets.
  • Discussions around aspirations for the future will inform the content of any personalised planning.
  • Pupil voice is valued and encouraged.
  • Attendance at review meetings is welcomed where appropriate).

17. Who can I contact for further information?

If you have further questions and concerns regarding SEND, please contact the school to arrange a meeting with the relevant staff member.

We hope these have answered any queries you may have but do not hesitate to contact the individual school if you have further questions.

We review this SEND report annually and would like any feedback parents might have on its content. It is important that this document is considered useful to parents. Therefore, we would appreciate parent’s input as to whether the sections are clear and whether anything could be added or changed. Parents have the opportunity to respond through discussion with the SENCO.

© Copyright 2020–2021 Kirkburton Middle School – View Privacy Notice